Power tripping while show is static (no lights on)

108CAM

Proud to have the largest display on my street!
You could have a faulty breaker. If so, time to call in a sparky.
In the meantime, you could try connecting the lights to a different circuit to see if your breaker is faulty and also to provide power while you wait for the faulty breaker to be fixed

scamper

Dedicated elf
As others have said, that is your rcd otherwise known as safety switch. It detects any current leakage across the poles as opposed to overload.
Send us a photo of your power boxes so we can run an eye over it/them. Alternatively if you have several, start one at a time.
The most common mistake people make is because AC will work with active and neutral swapped around, they think it doesn't matter, but that is what could trip your rcd.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I don't know of any SMPS power supplies where swapping A & N would make any difference.

The suppression capacitors are symmetrical (A-N, A-E & N-E) on all the ones I've seen.

orchidman33

Full time elf
Yeh that guy will trip (usually) on a ground/earth leak... or 63 amps where it'll probably cease to function. Either way the answer was always a sparky :D
Those RCCB's only trip if they sense a imbalance of 30mA between phase and neural (A&N). There is no over current on it, so even if more that 63A are drawn through , it will still not trip.

Iain

Full time elf
They can definitely be faulty—I’ve got one in the shed that trips all the time. Had a sparky look into it and found nothing, so the next thing is just to replace it and see what happens.

If you’ve wired the power supplies yourself, watch out for stray copper strands touching things they shouldn’t. An electrician is usually happy to inspect your own wiring and tell you what you’ve done wrong to get it up to “code”. They should be able to spot things like wires too thin, improper earthing, etc.

And watch out for an actual earth fault such as a broken cable insulation. The RCD is designed to save lives.