Voltage for LED lights strips

xbit

New elf
I have some Christmas LED lights that are rated for 30V. I have seen other Christmas lights that are rated for 26V. My questions are:

1. If I use the 30V power supply to the LEDs that are rated for 26V, will there be a problem? For one, the voltages are really close. Also, since they are LED lights, shouldn't the voltage required be the same?
  2. Will the number of lights play an influence on the voltage level? I mean there are 100, 250, or 500 LED lights. Do more lights mean more voltage required? I am guessing no, and that higher LED number means just a higher current consumption, but I just want to make sure.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
1. It depends on how they are wired and what method they use to drop the voltage to the LED operating voltage. Highly likely that are just series wired lots of 15 and 12 or similar, with no additional resistors. I would be sceptical about over voting then by more than 10%

2. Unlikely. As above a certain small number are series wired to get the base voltage, and then multiples of this count are paralleled to the required string length. This then increases current consumption.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I am guessing they are Bunnings Lytworks or Arlec etc, or something from BigW on the 31V LED side. These are relatively common these days.

The existing 26V LEDs; are they also two-wire type? Or 3/4/5 wire from the multifunction controller?