Help what can I do to control these lights

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
You're best bet with those Bunnings style two wire strings is to use a Hanson DMX2-24 or 2811DC2-30 board.
They will send itout the required reversing polarity signal that's required to light up the two sections independently.

Individual boards:

Ready to run with PSU, enclosure and pigtails

Note that all three of these will require something to either output DMX or a 2811 pixel signal to control the lights.
They do have a standalone mode that allows the device to operate like the little multifunction controller you have there, but over all 12/15 strings.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
You're best bet with those Bunnings style two wire strings is to use a Hanson DMX2-24 or 2811DC2-30 board.
They will send itout the required reversing polarity signal that's required to light up the two sections independently.

Individual boards:

Ready to run with PSU, enclosure and pigtails

Note that all three of these will require something to either output DMX or a 2811 pixel signal to control the lights.
They do have a standalone mode that allows the device to operate like the little multifunction controller you have there, but over all 12/15 strings.
I don't believe the 2811 version has the 8 function but, correct me if I'm wrong though

christmasmatt

New elf
Does the controller box need to be fully undercover (like a garage) or can it be sheltered outside (like under my front deck - has a roof)

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Does the controller box need to be fully undercover (like a garage) or can it be sheltered outside (like under my front deck - has a roof)
Sheltered is definitely ok, it really depends on the construction of the box.

I have four out in the open - two under my hedge, one bolted to the fence on the driveway, and and one under the megatree-all of which do get rain on them. The driveway one being the least sheltered.
They've been designed in such a way that cable egress is with glands, the box has a seal, and any vents are facing downwards.

christmasmatt

New elf
Do you know of any other controllers with fewer connectors than DMX2-24 but a bit cheaper?
Do you have any recommendations for any software I should get?
Do I need anything other than that controller?
What are the lights I have connecting point called?

I'm new to lights, sorry. Thanks so much for your help.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
For those style lights, your choice is limited in controller. This is because the lights are relatively unique in how they operate, which makes them cheap to build but less flexible to control.

To answer your question, the best thing to do is respond with one. What are you going to achieve? We can go down rabbit holes if suggestions but they might be completely inappropriate, out of budget or overkill for what you want to do, or we may need to just say "yep, for what you want to do you need this and yes it does cost X dollars"

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I guess this really depends on the controller box you are using and how well it was put together. Two of mine are fully exposed, one is hanging on the side of the garage slightly covered, one on the roof slightly covered, and the last will be in the middle of the megatree slightly covered.

Four of my controllers are using Bud / HiPoint boxes and the megatree will be a standard CG1500 case.

christmasmatt

New elf
For those style lights, your choice is limited in controller. This is because the lights are relatively unique in how they operate, which makes them cheap to build but less flexible to control.

To answer your question, the best thing to do is respond with one. What are you going to achieve? We can go down rabbit holes if suggestions but they might be completely inappropriate, out of budget or overkill for what you want to do, or we may need to just say "yep, for what you want to do you need this and yes it does cost X dollars"
I want to spend around $250

if I was to go with the DMX2-24
Also apart from the DMX2-24 ready-to-run box that was suggested before,
Do I need any other hardware?
What software should I get?

christmasmatt

New elf
I don’t need it to be too much, I just want to sync it to music and all of the lights flash on and off together