Powering lights outside property

BBQNinja

New elf
Hello all,

Looking for some advice about using a controller outside my front fence on the nature strip.
I have spoken to local council, and they are OK with it, but I specified any power outside my fence would be low voltage (my whole show is 5V)

On the nature strip I am hoping to run 50 peace stakes, 4x 50 seed pixels in the tree, and 3x 150px strips on gutter line and driveway sides.
Given this is 7 ports I was hoping to put a box with 2x smart receivers in the tree and only run network and 5V to it. (PSU just inside my fence in separate box)

Voltage drop is my concern. Looking at all the calculators, the run from the PSU to tree box is too long at 8m.

I am wondering rather than putting the control box and PSU inside my fence and then running 7x 8m cables with F-amps (which prob won't work), would it be better to put a 12V PSU inside the fence and use a 5V buck converter in the box in the tree? Would this work?

Thanks, in advance.

Katekate

Senior elf
there is a few people doing similar things, it will work fine as long as your size your dc-dc supply correctly.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I run a 24V backbone with drops to 5V at props where needed.
This keep it at a low voltage, but you are minimising voltage drop. Also, the DC convertors can take a wide ranging input, and still output 5V.

This is one of my Diff receiver boxes set up that way
.PXL_20231028_033739238.jpg

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
+1 for a 24V to 5V DC converter. I do this for the controllers in the tree and light pole, both out on the footpath.

The tree box has a 24V to 5V 10A and 24V to 12V 5A DC converter, both Meanwell DIN rail mount type.

The light pole has a cheaper 24V to 12V @ 10A DC converter that I got off AliExpress.