Roosta's Display Build Thread

Roosta

Full time elf
Hello all,

Well I have decided to start this thread to document my build thread on my display for the year..

Bit of an intro.. Always been keen on my chrissy lights but about 3 seasons (years) ago went to a computer controlled system using store bought lights, followed by music based in the following year using Vixen 2 outputting serial RS232 to my control system.. While this was ok it left me wanting, and I kept seeing these awesome displays on facebook and online and was really keen.. Well after about 1.5 years of talking about it the lovely better half said just to do it but dont spend more than x$.. (Budget figure not shown on purpose).. Needless to say the next day i was jumping head on into pixel land, which is where I came across this forums about 5 weeks ago and here we are..

So a quick pic of my old setup, which will be being scrapped completely in preparation for pixels..
full

And so with the assistance of the people on ACL and the heaps of threads full of info, i started on planning my setup using others displays for inspiration but wanting to put in my own flair..

full

I decide to move away from Vixen 2 and start down the Xlights path so started playing with the sw and sequencing to see what i could come up with, being more technical than artistic.. Hahaha little basic video sequence below..

I was pretty happy with what could be achieved with xlights so next came time to make some decisions on the hardware..

I decided to utilise Ray Wu on Aliexpress for lights as other members had lots of positive things to say.. I made up a wish list but then decided to split the order into 2 or possibly 3 orders..

My initial order with Ray Wu was:
26x 5m 30/10 Pixel Strip WS2811 12VDC
3x 10m 10/10 Pixel Nodes WS2811 12VDC
2x WS2811 Basic Controller/Tester 12VDC
2x MeanWell 12VDC 350W Power Supplies
1x Freight

Which I recieved yesterday, 2 weeks after order, which was realistically pretty good.. Twas a very exciting day!!!

full

And what was in the box?
full

While awaiting the Ray Wu order, I made the decision on controller.. I decided to go with a Falcon F16V2 (put on order with darylc) as the main house controller, and then also decided on a J1SYS P2 (Put on order with BensChristmasLights) for the 'mega tree'.. The Falcon is still a bit off but I did have a package arrive from Ben yesterday.. Lets just say yesterday I was like a kid at christmas.. Hehehe

full

So next step was to pull out the Ray Wu order and begin testing all the lights.. After a couple of small little hiccups, namely the connectors on the lights I was away, bench testing pixels, although once I had the first connected I was in awe of their awesomeness, and even the GF was impressed.. So utilising my bench psu I started uncoiling each of the strips, plugging them in, running them through a series of sequences off the ray wu controller and looking for any abnormalities which may indicate a fault.. I was pretty impressed, out of 26x rolls of the stuff i had 1 completely dead pixel, and 1 coil which malfunctions and obviously has a fault of some sort.. See video below..

Next was on to testing the nodes.. I hooked them up, but as i started testing i started noticing a issue on full white where some pixels where red instead of white, pic below:

full

Now remember I had been at it a while, so I was a little frustrated when this occured, so i packed those nodes up in a huff and tried the next lot.. I found a similar thing happening.. o_O So I sat and had a think and noticed the affected pixels were the further ones from the psu and controller.. Bumbum my first power injection issue.. I connected the power from the other end of the nodes onto the psu and bam problem fixed, well mostly, ;-).. I then thoroughly began testing the nodes and found occasionally on full white 1 or 2 pixels where still playing up.. This had me scratching my head, until i had a lightbulb moment and realised perhaps my psu wasnt up to task as its just a little multi voltage unit that can only supply 3amps at 12vdc.. I decided to give up for the night and to wait for the next day to wire up the one of the meanwell psus for final testing..

Problem was fully fixed when using the meanwell psu..

full

So was pretty happy then out of all my ray wu order only a few little issues..

I was also pretty impressed with how the lights work, both in brightness and function.. Little video of the strip running beside the nodes.. Both are very cool in their own ways..

Anyways so that kinda gets me and my preparation for chrissy lights 2016 up to date.. As I experiment with ideas and develop the display I will update this thread incase it may be able to help anyone else out there..

Whats coming in the future? Well modify my kmart stars to put nodes in them.. Possibly construct the roof matrix and have a play with the P2 driving it.. Experiment around with some different mini tree styles.. Construct the mega tree.. Another ray wu order.. Rasberry Pi.. Interactivity of some sort for visitors.. Make and decorate some seasonal elements.. And some other stuffs as we go no doubts!

Cheers,
Nik

Last edited:

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Watching with interest Nik, thanks for sharing.
I have a few similar projects in mind myself and placed my first order with Ray Wu today.

Roosta

Full time elf
Thanks DavidJ.. I do hope others get something out of it to..

Converted a kmart star to pixels this evening.. Pretty simple to remove the original supplied battery led strip, drill out the holes a big bigger, 11.5mm was pretty much spot on, nice and tight, 12mm was a little sloppy.. Clipped the leds on with a little twisting.. Powered it up and happy with the results!

Pic
full

Video:

Cheers,
Nik

Last edited:

Seemylights

New elf
Roosta said:
Hello all,

Well I have decided to start this thread to document my build thread on my display for the year..

Bit of an intro.. Always been keen on my chrissy lights but about 3 seasons (years) ago went to a computer controlled system using store bought lights, followed by music based in the following year using Vixen 2 outputting serial RS232 to my control system.. While this was ok it left me wanting, and I kept seeing these awesome displays on facebook and online and was really keen.. Well after about 1.5 years of talking about it the lovely better half said just to do it but dont spend more than x$.. (Budget figure not shown on purpose).. Needless to say the next day i was jumping head on into pixel land, which is where I came across this forums about 5 weeks ago and here we are..

So a quick pic of my old setup, which will be being scrapped completely in preparation for pixels..

And so with the assistance of the people on ACL and the heaps of threads full of info, i started on planning my setup using others displays for inspiration but wanting to put in my own flair..

I decide to move away from Vixen 2 and start down the Xlights path so started playing with the sw and sequencing to see what i could come up with, being more technical than artistic.. Hahaha little basic video sequence below..

I was pretty happy with what could be achieved with xlights so next came time to make some decisions on the hardware..

I decided to utilise Ray Wu on Aliexpress for lights as other members had lots of positive things to say.. I made up a wish list but then decided to split the order into 2 or possibly 3 orders..

My initial order with Ray Wu was:
26x 5m 30/10 Pixel Strip WS2811 12VDC
3x 10m 10/10 Pixel Nodes WS2811 12VDC
2x WS2811 Basic Controller/Tester 12VDC
2x MeanWell 12VDC 350W Power Supplies
1x Freight

Which I recieved yesterday, 2 weeks after order, which was realistically pretty good.. Twas a very exciting day!!!

And what was in the box?

While awaiting the Ray Wu order, I made the decision on controller.. I decided to go with a Falcon F16V2 (put on order with darylc) as the main house controller, and then also decided on a J1SYS P2 (Put on order with BensChristmasLights) for the 'mega tree'.. The Falcon is still a bit off but I did have a package arrive from Ben yesterday.. Lets just say yesterday I was like a kid at christmas.. Hehehe

So next step was to pull out the Ray Wu order and begin testing all the lights.. After a couple of small little hiccups, namely the connectors on the lights I was away, bench testing pixels, although once I had the first connected I was in awe of their awesomeness, and even the GF was impressed.. So utilising my bench psu I started uncoiling each of the strips, plugging them in, running them through a series of sequences off the ray wu controller and looking for any abnormalities which may indicate a fault.. I was pretty impressed, out of 26x rolls of the stuff i had 1 completely dead pixel, and 1 coil which malfunctions and obviously has a fault of some sort.. See video below..

Next was on to testing the nodes.. I hooked them up, but as i started testing i started noticing a issue on full white where some pixels where red instead of white, pic below:

Now remember I had been at it a while, so I was a little frustrated when this occured, so i packed those nodes up in a huff and tried the next lot.. I found a similar thing happening.. o_O So I sat and had a think and noticed the affected pixels were the further ones from the psu and controller.. Bumbum my first power injection issue.. I connected the power from the other end of the nodes onto the psu and bam problem fixed, well mostly, ;-).. I then thoroughly began testing the nodes and found occasionally on full white 1 or 2 pixels where still playing up.. This had me scratching my head, until i had a lightbulb moment and realised perhaps my psu wasnt up to task as its just a little multi voltage unit that can only supply 3amps at 12vdc.. I decided to give up for the night and to wait for the next day to wire up the one of the meanwell psus for final testing..

Problem was fully fixed when using the meanwell psu..

So was pretty happy then out of all my ray wu order only a few little issues..

I was also pretty impressed with how the lights work, both in brightness and function.. Little video of the strip running beside the nodes.. Both are very cool in their own ways..

Anyways so that kinda gets me and my preparation for chrissy lights 2016 up to date.. As I experiment with ideas and develop the display I will update this thread incase it may be able to help anyone else out there..

Whats coming in the future? Well modify my kmart stars to put nodes in them.. Possibly construct the roof matrix and have a play with the P2 driving it.. Experiment around with some different mini tree styles.. Construct the mega tree.. Another ray wu order.. Rasberry Pi.. Interactivity of some sort for visitors.. Make and decorate some seasonal elements.. And some other stuffs as we go no doubts!

Cheers,
Nik
Thank you for this, as a complete novice I have been in overloaad mode on how to get started

I know what I want to do but just trying to get my head around how to do what I want

Time to plan out my pixel runs for the house outline then work out my power requirements

get that to work then move on to my props

Roosta

Full time elf
Hey seemylights, glad you found it useful mate, that was part of my intention..

Yes planning is quite important to a point but sometimes u need to just jump in to properly get you head around things.. :)

scamper

Dedicated elf
Roosta said:
Yes planning is quite important to a point but sometimes u need to just jump in to properly get you head around things.. :)

Couldn't agree more. I was the same, I read everything I could but when you actually start playing with the items it all starts to make sense.
Start with the basic necessities order it early and start playing.

Roosta

Full time elf
Well a small update, received my next (and probably last for this year) Ray Wu order today.. Arrived much faster than the last order, so was a nice surprise at work!

In the box was
27x 5m 30/10 pixel strip ws2811 12vdc
1x 10m 10/10 pixel nodes ws2811 12vdc
25x male 3 pin plugs
25x female 3 pin sockets
5x male 2 pin plugs
5x female 2 pin plugs
80m of silicon strip tubing
200x silicon strip end caps
10x 12vdc 250w power supplies
1x All in 1 pixel strip, psu and remote controller

full

full

Also got a few bits of hardware for testing, conduits, steel, aluminium.. Lots of busy evenings and weekends ahead..

Just waiting on the Falcon now.. ;-)

Last edited:

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Roosta, do you have the link for the All in 1 pixel strip, psu and remote controller?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Cheers
Was thinking of around my island kitchen bench. There's a recessed gap between bench top and cabinet just a bit wider than led strip.

Roosta

Full time elf
Well been a bit quiet on the blinky front of late, for 2 reasons.. Very busy with reno's around the house and thinking i might wait till after the mini to start on elements...

However recieving some more pieces of the puzzle yesterday and today..
My main show controller is the falcon16v2, thanks darylc, and the show player will be a rasberry pi2 and associated bits.. :) looking forward to tinkering..

full

Cheers,
Nik

Last edited:

scamper

Dedicated elf
Nice work there.
I use a very similar setup, One thing is the power supply you have there, just make sure it is rated high enough, the Pi2 needs 2amps. I personally bought a 4 way power board with a usb supply built in as I also had 3 power supplies in the same box.

One question.... What is the lego block you have there?

Roosta

Full time elf
Yep, powersupply has plenty of juice at 2.5amps.. :)

Haha 'lego' block is the case for the Pi2.. Saw it n liked it and needed a case for the pi2 anyways hahaha..