What are you changing this year? Elements you are building or installing for 2023

Iain

Full time elf
Yard Day 4 - The Star 's Revenge
Please keep posting all the jobs you have left—it’s making me feel better 😆

I still have to mount my house verticals, rooflines, and make a house-topper star… and no time off until 18th!

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Yard Day 5: Arch Rivals

Took down the 36-270 star so I can figure out where I broke it. Added in my last 2 verticals. When testing I found out that they were all wired to the ports in reverse order and I never figured it out until now. Put out my 5 new triple arches to find that the first one instantly went mostly white and multicolored. The rest of the arches worked fine. Swapped out an extension which did not help. Put in a null pixel int he middle of the extension runa nd that solved the issue.

Just need to fix the star and the garage vertical and I can be done.
YardDay5.jpg

someoneAUS

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
its crazy how seeds have been amazing for some and then just pain for others... im soo on the fence about them

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
its crazy how seeds have been amazing for some and then just pain for others... im soo on the fence about them
To note - the original roll of seeds I got for the trees were so visibly bad - I could ignore them and contacted the seller for a replacement. So I’m hoping these will hold up and last

Iain

Full time elf
Got a lot done yesterday. Had to take the shade sail down and up again. Drilling into the underside of concrete on top of a 5m ladder is trickier than I thought! All for a couple of these little things:
IMG_4762.jpeg

with all the lights I have to dial the brightness back a bit from 45 to 40 I think. It’s starting to cast shadows!
IMG_4766.jpeg
IMG_4765.jpeg

now I have the matrix, which will have to go on the fence as it can’t be seen well from the road, and the rooflines and I’m dooooone!

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I finally put in the pixel stake forest that I made last fall. It has all the problems I was afraid it might, and then some, but I guess I'm glad I finally tried. Better luck next year.

20231215_150208.jpg

View: https://vimeo.com/895182642

View: https://vimeo.com/895182621

Things I need to consider if I want to run it next year:
1. Try to put it on a level spot
2. Pick a better spacing
3. Make a frame instead of sticking it in the ground - aside from my impatience and lack of skill in aligning it, the ground must have little rocks in it so the stakes are as much as 3-4cm off where I'd have wanted them to be... pushing real hard on the rods causes the pixels to come loose
4. The lights aren't very bright-looking because they point straight up... may be a 3D printing job
5. It is very easily tangled up.

Or just scrub this and try to make a cube out of seed pixels instead?
Either way, the effects aren't that compelling either. Won't reach full potential without doing something on that.

Iain

Full time elf
I took the opportunity while replacing a receiver to properly waterproof my $12 garden box. I got these red extension cable joiners for $5 and they’ve stayed perfectly dry in the heavy rain we had yesterday. I’m pretty happy with this for the price, although next year I’ll need to fix the components inside instead of just standing them up!

IMG_4777.jpeg

IMG_4778.jpeg

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I finally put in the pixel stake forest that I made last fall. It has all the problems I was afraid it might, and then some, but I guess I'm glad I finally tried. Better luck next year.

Things I need to consider if I want to run it next year:
1. Try to put it on a level spot
2. Pick a better spacing
3. Make a frame instead of sticking it in the ground - aside from my impatience and lack of skill in aligning it, the ground must have little rocks in it so the stakes are as much as 3-4cm off where I'd have wanted them to be... pushing real hard on the rods causes the pixels to come loose
4. The lights aren't very bright-looking because they point straight up... may be a 3D printing job
5. It is very easily tangled up.

Or just scrub this and try to make a cube out of seed pixels instead?
Either way, the effects aren't that compelling either. Won't reach full potential without doing something on that.

They pinwheel was ok and they excel at the wave.

I have 30 13 pixel peace stakes in a box for mostly the same reasons. They're such a pain to individually setup and get right. I honestly think they make a better short wide area coverage proper to fill space in without blocking things. Maybe next year I can focus on some sort of frame also to make them easier to put out and setup.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Yard Day: 7ish

I put out a Tune to Sign the other day which works but I am far from happy with. The last couple of days I spent building the last 4 of my minitrees and they finally went out today. At this point I'll just be in fix mode.
8Minitrees.jpg

All my year one props have been finished at this point. :D