Show your layout

Juddge

Apprentice elf
Excellent - XLights is what I will be using for my controllers
So I can draw a rough layout of my house and add lights around it ? Or do I need a photo that can be converted to wire ?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Yes, You can draw something up if you want to use that. Technically you can just add props to the blank layout but it'll mess up perspective. I just took a photo of my house with my phone and used that.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
So I can draw a rough layout of my house and add lights around it ? Or do I need a photo that can be converted to wire ?
If you're doing it in 2D layout, you add a front-on photo of your house, and you just draw on the lights & models etc. You could do it with a sketch if you like but a photo is usually easier.
If you want to do 3D layout, you need a 3D object file should you wish to do that. I dont, namely because my lights are roughly in the shape of the house, so I just "guessed".

I would suggest starting with the https://videos.xlights.org website - this may be a good video to start with

View: https://videos.xlights.org/xlights-gem-series-basic-layout-intro-and-tips_e39dd6ea2.html

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
You can do it either way. A photo makes it a little easier to visualize. You can also import a 3D model of your house and design in 3D, but that's a whole other learning curve.

Kent

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
I'm occasionally out Penrith way for work. If schedules align and you're interested, I could grab some shots with the DJI mini to create a 3d model for you. Will PM with details.

Rodney766

New elf
This is my layout, its my third year using pixels and I have been adding bits each year.
The tree on the RHS is flat and the gap toward the top is where my countdown clock is located. The circle in the centre of the layout is lights around a push to listen button.

Attachments

• Layout.jpg
    Layout.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 10

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
So far what I've set up in xlights when moving over from Vixen for this year (still using vixen to sequence for this year though) it doesn't show any of the static lights that cover everything else, this is just what is hooked to various controllers. The big circles are single channel lights.
swfqFyI.png